Dialogue: “Lei di Labizjan”

This part will be updated as we receive detailed information about the dialogue.


Lei di Labizjan is the name of the Exceptional Medical Expenses Insurance (AVBZ), introduced in 1997 in which the solidarity principle applies.

Before 1997 the people of our community with a disability due to a physical, mental issue or because of aging had no entitlement to care. The organizations were receiving a subsidy to care for these patients. Every time the government had to reduce it costs was at the cost of this subsidy. Starting January 1997 the government had given the one with a disability due to a physical, mental issue or because of aging or a chronically illness the right to receive care by law.

The law was for treatment, nursing, care and counselling of chronically and physically sick persons that are in need of nursing, psychiatric patients, mentally and physically disabled. Physically disabled also has a right to tools and aids and home adaptations.

As solidarity anyone who is employed paid 1.5% and the employer paid 0.5% for a total 2%. Pensioners contribute with 1.5%. After 19 years it is still not clear who can receive care and which care and treatment can a person receive. In most cases a person in an institute will receive the care that he needs, but when the person is at home, it will be very difficult to receive it.


With this dialogue we would like to start a process of exchanging ideas or opinions on our “Lei di Labizjan”, with the view to reach an amicable agreement or settlement about this law in benefit of the people for which the law was introduced, especially for people with spinal cord injury.